Advanced <span class="highlight">Driver</span> <span class="highlight">Training</span> Courses

Submitted: Monday, Nov 27, 2006 at 16:45
ThreadID: 39820 Views:2633 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Has anyone had any first hand experience of any of the advanced driver training courses? Any recommendations, etc? Looking to get my wife onto one of those courses as she's only recently got her P's at the ripe old age of 27 and will also be carrying some precious cargo in the back.

I'm in Sydney.

Cheers,

Han.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Monday, Nov 27, 2006 at 16:56

Monday, Nov 27, 2006 at 16:56
There are advanced driving courses and defensive driver courses.

Have done both, and both are worthwhile.

Advanced driving courses tend to be more car control, including emergency braking etc. Good to know the limits of your car and your skills.

Defensive driving courses look more at traffic awareness and a little at car control. Also worthwhile as it gives you clues as what to look for on the road and how dangerous situations develope, hopfully giving you the chance to see what is happening before you get too involved.

For a 'P' plater I would for the defensive first then after a year or so and confidence builds, give them a little scare with the advanced, letting them know how easy it is to tip over into an out of control situation.
AnswerID: 207136

Reply By: Member - Phantom (WA) - Monday, Nov 27, 2006 at 17:07

Monday, Nov 27, 2006 at 17:07
My daughter has completed the advanced course here in Perth. She was about to lose her license for continuallly speeding. I can't believe the change in her attitude, her driving skills and confidence now. The only pain in the butt is she is continually criticising MY driving. LOL
I would recommend to everyone.
Steve
AnswerID: 207138

Follow Up By: Grumpy in WA - Monday, Nov 27, 2006 at 19:07

Monday, Nov 27, 2006 at 19:07
Hi Phantom,
Do you have any details on this course? Where, when, how much? I know a couple that could benifit from this. Do they teach skid control? Thanks
FollowupID: 467111

Follow Up By: Member - Phantom (WA) - Monday, Nov 27, 2006 at 19:47

Monday, Nov 27, 2006 at 19:47
Hi Grumpy,
I had this course recommended by the local policeman who was at one stage in charge of Police driver training. Goggle 'dtec' and go to courses. They are situated near the International Airport. Becky did Course 3 which was $265 but incorporated the other two. They spent time in their car for skid control etc and then a part of the afternoon in your own cars.
Well recommended!
Steve
FollowupID: 467123

Follow Up By: Grumpy in WA - Tuesday, Nov 28, 2006 at 11:29

Tuesday, Nov 28, 2006 at 11:29
Thanks for that, much appreciated.
FollowupID: 467218

Reply By: Kev M (NSW) - Monday, Nov 27, 2006 at 17:54

Monday, Nov 27, 2006 at 17:54
Han,

Fellow member Wayne in NSW works for Great Divide Tours.
I am pretty sure that they do accredited Advanced 4wd driver training courses down at Braidwood, near Goulborn.

Try
www.greatdividetours.com.au

for more info.

I had SWMBO do the beginners course with them and found that they were very thorough.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 207147

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Nov 27, 2006 at 23:27

Monday, Nov 27, 2006 at 23:27
Han,

Unless the content of the Defensive Driving course has changed since I did one, it is all about controlling your vehicle in an emergency. How to apply braking without locking the wheels and therefore losing the ability to steer around a trouble spot.

The course also emphasises how a difference of 10 kilometres can mean the difference between can and can't do.

A great course to teach those young, invincible drivers that they may not be as hot as they thought they were. Well recommended for anyone to do.

The Jim Murcotts programs are excellent and although the cost may appear high, (basic course is about $270) it will be the best investment made in providing protection to the driver and their "valuable cargo" in various situations.

have a look at:-
www.murcotts.com.au/
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 207220

Sponsored Links